APRIL IS ORAL CANCER AWARENESS MONTH: DO YOU KNOW THE RISKS?
Did you know April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month? Learn more about Oral Cancer, the causes, prevention, and early detection!
WHAT IS ORAL CANCER?
Oral Cancer appears as a growth or sore in the mouth that does not go away. Oral cancer, which includes cancers of the lips, tongue, cheeks, floor of the mouth, hard and soft palate, sinuses, and pharynx (throat), can be life threatening if not diagnosed and treated early. It stems from excessive alcohol and tobacco use, exposure to HPV, poor nutrition, poor oral hygiene, and even infectious diseases.
- Approximately 53,000 people in the US will be newly diagnosed with oral cancer in 2019 .
- Oral cancers are the largest group of those cancers which fall into the head and neck cancer category.
- Oral cancers affect men twice as often as women.
- Oral cancer causes over 8,650 deaths a year, which equates to about 1 death every hour.
- 43% of those diagnosed won’t survive more than 5 years.
- There’s an 80-90% survival rate when oral cancers are found at early stages of development.
PREVENTION & DETECTION
If you are having difficulty with chewing or swallowing, you find a mass or lump in the neck, or have a chronic sore throat or hoarseness, it may be time to schedule a visit with your dentist. Also be sure to stay on high alert for red and white patches, sores, and abnormal lumps inside the mouth. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, call your dentist or doctor immediately!
Oral cancer is no joke! At Kellogg Dental, it’s our goal to ensure our patients are aware of the importance behind regular dental check-ups and oral cancer screenings. The chances of survival are much higher the earlier the cancer is detected. Practicing healthy habits is the best way to prevent the development of oral cancer!
During the month of April, we are offering complimentary oral cancer screenings with the purchase of fluoride. Give us a call at 517-546-3330 or visit https://kelloggdental.com/appointment-request to reserve your healthy mouth cleaning today!